I Covered Up Their Faces! (pg.119)

"When I got down out of the tree I crept along down the river bank a piece, and found the two bodies laying in the edge of the water, and tugged at them till I got them ashore; then I covered up their faces, and got away as quick as I could. I cried a little when I was covering up Buck's face, for he was mighty good to me."



This passage shows how Twain makes fun of how idiotic the feud between the Gangerfords and the Shephardsons were. Even though they did not have a clear arguement on why they fought, they still did, due to the histroical family rivalry that they have. Though it was long over, they still fought, which led to the death's of their children. This can be seen still in America today. Where racism still occurs. Many racists don't know why they are judging people the way they are. They simply rely on history to back up their arguement on why they treat a certain race of people another way. In the picture a man says to the black male that he does not fit in. This is a modern illustration, so slavery doesn't exist, but racism still occurs.

No comments: