I Used to be Scared of Him! (pg.18)



"Then I turned around. and there he was. I used to be scared of him all the time, he tanned me so much. I reckoned I was scared now, too; but in a minute I see I was mistaken—that is, after the first jolt, as you may say, when my breath sort of hitched, he being so unexpected."


Huck Finn at teh beginning of chapter five, introduces his father by saying that he used to get hit and was always scared of him. This shows how the relationship they have between each other is not loving and sincere. Twain points this out to the American people, mainly to inspire change in that they might treat their kids better. In Addition to hitting, Huck also says that his father is the town drunk and no one could ever find him. It is obvious that he has a abusive and bad father and Twain points this out to show that many parents out there are abusive and treat their own children like dirt. This can be seen in America today. Children are still mainly becoming abused and hurt by their parents, which is causing them to become emotionally and physically damaged.

No comments: